Monday, April 18, 2011

Enormous undertakings

I was reading something the other day and came across the word enormously. It occurred to me right then that enormous was a word that I can never remember using. What increases my certainty that I have ignored this bit of text is that I keep wanting to spell it "enourmous," making it clear that I am not familiar with the proper spelling of a rather simple word.

I'm a bit nonplussed. See, right there! Certainly nonplussed is a less familiar term than enormous, but I must use nonplussed four or five times a year. So why don't I use enormous?

Hmm-mmm?

Let me check my thesaurus for synonyms: immense, vast, colossal, giant, gigantic, Amazonian, gargantuan, monumental, huge, towering. Well, there you go. None of those terms are that common to my writing, which makes me think that I seldom have cause to discuss enormous things. Or gargantuan things, or colossal things. Maybe once or twice a year I might mention something huge or gigantic, but maybe not, either.

Okay, then. Mystery solved.

Still...
A colossal giant with a gargantuan single
eye in the center of his immense forehead
is about to crush the monumental Sydney
Opera House with his enormous left hand.
Eh, I don't care much for opera, anyway;
it's all such a huge bore.
*

No comments: