Saturday, April 3, 2010

Short timer

Soon it will be time to leave Tucson. Already the heat has tempted me to turn on the rig’s air conditioner once or twice. So far I’ve resisted. But the cool mountains beckon. Unfortunately, they’re still a bit too cool. In fact, it’s supposed to snow at home tomorrow.

In the park most of the mid-winter RVers, chiefly the Canadian contingent, have been replaced by Mud Season visitors from the Rockies. Mud Season is how us mountain folk refer to Spring. Only place I know where Spring is nothing to get excited about. Up to home every driving and walking surface that isn’t paved will be a quagmire. Many of the Forest Service roads won’t open until the middle of June; until they firm up traffic would simply trench them out.

Meanwhile I’ve completed several of the projects I had planned for my camper trailer. The bed’s been replaced with the new rocker recliner (Luv ya’, babe) with two four-drawer cabinets filling in for the under-bed storage that was lost in the exchange. The cabinets are much more convenient. And I still have the jackknife couch and the dinette for beds just in case, like if the Crown decides to quarter troops with me.

There’s a new large capacity convection toaster oven installed under the cook top. I also reinforced the load-bearing capability of both that cabinet and the microwave cabinet above the cook top. To keep the interior cooler I’ve rigged insulated sun shades for the windows and added an exhaust fan and a small oscillating fan.

Some projects remain. Still on my tewdew list is my kitchen counter extension. Like many rigs (other than the million-dollar behemoths), kitchen space is all but nonexistent. The counter extension will quadruple my work surface as well as providing a work area that’s raised a few inches, making it scads more comfortable for us taller types. And then I want to make an awning anchor system that will utilize the weight of my truck; still have a few wrinkles to iron out, though.

But diverse emotions abide: while I’m eager to return to Colorado, I’m sorry to think about leaving the Sonora. Ah, well, the increasing temperatures over the next six weeks will probably cure that sentiment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just as the temperature raises there in Tucson, it is lowering here in east central Alberta. Spring has arrived with gusto, including blizzards, high winds, and nasty cold temps. Why oh why did we leave the heat of the desert for this? Stay warm my friend!!